Saturday, November 12, 2011

Blackpool Linux Use Group

This morning was spent at the regular meeting of my LUG here in Blackpool.

http://blackpoollug.blogspot.com/

It was quite a constructive meeting, my friend, fellow member and fellow 'Flying Handbag' podcaster, (http://danlynch.org/blog/2011/10/handbag/) Les Pounder, helped me set up a couple of things on My Acer Aspire One Net book, which is currently running Lubuntu 11.10, and running it very well. We configured my Dropbox account as I had not yet done this since installing Lubuntu a week or so ago. We also downloaded and installed Skype and I set myself up with an account.

Mike another member and our host (We meet in the premises he runs a PC Recycling business, and Blackpool computer Club from),

http://www.blackpoolcomputerclub.co.uk/

helped me set up an Adsense account. This enables you to use web sites that you own, to show adverts and potentially generate an income from people who visit your site and then click on the adverts. Given that I have only started to Blog in the last 2 weeks, I'm not expecting to become a millionaire overnight, but the thought of a little extra cash is always appealing.

I always come away from the meetings having learnt at least one thing during the morning, and it is always good to be able to have a chat to other like minded folk without being thought of as a geek. The main thing is we learn from each other and if one of us has a particular computer or Linux (or in some cases another commonly used OS) related issue that they cannot solve, there is a good chance someone at the meeting can help out. We also share resources, lending each other books and magazines. As a LUG we are also members of the O'Reilly Books, 'User Group Programme', so we get discounts on purchases and review copies of books that we can use within the LUG.  

So when I'm not working or we're not taking the LUG on the road to an Open Source event somewhere in the Northwest and beyond, on a Saturday morning I'm generally to be found supping coffee and generally geeking at Blackpool LUG.

No comments:

Post a Comment